If you are a YouTube user, you have probably seen YouTube Premium ads. This is a paid version of the platform, with which you can access all the wide functionality of the popular video hosting. But is this version really that valuable and worth taking advantage of, and with so many free music and video streaming services available, is it worth subscribing to YouTube in the Premium version? This question is of interest to many users.
YouTube Premium has several pricing plans. The basic individual plan costs $11.99 per month. There’s also a halving student plan and a few other plans, including the popular $17.99 family plan.
It is important to remember that all plans have a free trial month. After this period, your credit card will be charged periodically and you can cancel at any time.
As with other streaming services such as Spotify, Deezer and Netflix plans, when you join YouTube Premium you pay a monthly fee which entitles you to a number of benefits.
So, we list the benefits of this premium subscription:
• You can watch videos without ads. As strange as it may sound to pay for a service that you can access for free, one of the benefits of YouTube Premium is the ability to watch ad-free videos, which have increased significantly in recent years.
• Background playback. One of the downsides of Youtube in the free version is that you can’t watch (or listen to) videos without the platform’s screen open.
• Ability to download video content. What used to be done only with dubious websites and tools can now be done legally: Youtube Premium allows you to download videos to watch at any time. And that includes original series, music, and content from the platform.
Now let’s look at the disadvantages of the premium version of YouTube. There are not very many of them, but at the same time, everyone who is going to issue a premium subscription to the service should be aware of them:
• High subscription cost. Youtube Premium starting at $11.99 per month (excluding the student plan) might not be very exciting considering most of the content is available for free. You also need to compare with a subscription to other services. Spotify and Deezer, for example, have plans starting at $9.99 per month.
• Small variety of video content. Despite the huge amount of content, one of the differences between Youtube Premium is access to original products. However, the platform catalog is still quite limited and many of them are little known.
If you don’t subscribe to any other music streaming services like Deezer or Spotify, YouTube Premium may be well worth it due to the many tracks available on Youtube Music.
Background playback and the ability to lock the screen while listening to some content are also two strengths of the service. On the other hand, the lack of more up-to-date original content does not justify the amount charged. If you want to subscribe to a streaming service to watch movies and series, other options might be more interesting.
To take the test, you can take a free month of Youtube Premium, test all the features and see if the service is worth it for you.