On the Web, the question is often asked why Spotify has short songs, and what is the reason for this trend. Two reasons stand out here – the features of the music world, focused on reducing the duration of songs, as well as the intention of the service to transfer users to a premium subscription. Let’s consider each of the options in more detail.
To understand the question of why Spotify has short tracks, you should pay attention to the duration of musical compositions in world practice. So, in the period from 2013 to 2020, the average length of a song decreased from 3.50 to 3.30 minutes. At the same time, the trend of decreasing time remains in force. For comparison, short songs 2.30 minutes long seven years ago occurred in 1% of cases, and today this figure has grown to 6%. This feature can be seen on the albums of many artists in different directions.
When answering the question of why short videos and songs are becoming more common on Spotify, there are two main explanations:
- Decreased user concentration. Research conducted by the developers of Spotify has shown that an increasing number of people are skipping a track before it is completed. This means that the algorithm is less likely to recommend a song to a person and, accordingly, the music will be less popular. To fix the result, the song must sound for at least 30 seconds. If it is switched earlier, Spotify will most likely remove it from the playlist.
- The amount of income. Another answer why Spotify has short songs on a phone or PC is the lack of additional income. Streaming services pay artists to play their tracks. On average, this payment is about $0.004. In this case, the length of the composition does not matter. Everyone gets the same amount. It turns out that it makes no sense for the performer to make a long track if you can get the same amount for a small song. Here are all the limitations of the free version.
The downward trend in the length and popularity of short tracks continues. Much is explained by the lack of necessary material, because a longer track requires more words and musical effects. Not surprisingly, many artists focus on shorter songs.
In a situation where Spotify plays your favorite songs halfway, there may be another explanation. In this way, developers attract customers to purchase a paid version of the Spotify application (premium subscription).
There is no official information about shortening tracks, but in practice, users notice that it is not uncommon for short favorite tracks to be found on Spotify. There is only one way out to solve the problem – buying a Premium subscription. On the computer, take the following steps:
- Go to the official Spotify site.
- Register if you haven’t done so already.
- Enter the Premium section.
- Select one of the subscription options.
- Click the Subscribe button.
- Pass authorization and enter payment data. Depending on the chosen method, enter the e-wallet address or bank card details.
- Make a payment.
After that, short songs should no longer appear on Spotify. A similar algorithm is also relevant for a smartphone. Here you also need to enter the application, go to the Premium section, and then follow the prompts of the system. Now you know why Spotify has short compositions, and how you can fix the problem when it occurs. The easiest way is to purchase a premium subscription. But keep in mind that lately there has been a trend to reduce the duration of tracks, so the length of 2-3 minutes for many songs is already normal.