Music and gaming are two forms of art that have a long and intertwined history. From the iconic soundtracks of classic video games to the modern streaming platforms that allow gamers to share their musical tastes, music has always been a vital part of the gaming culture.
One of the main reasons why gamers listen to music is to enhance the atmosphere and mood of their gaming experience. Music has the power to set the tone and create an emotional impact that can complement or contrast with the visuals and gameplay of a game.
Some gamers may also choose to listen to music that matches the theme or genre of the game they are playing, such as rock music for action games, classical music for strategy games or electronic music for sci-fi games. This can help them to feel more connected and engaged with the game’s story and characters.
Another reason why gamers listen to music is to improve their focus and concentration while playing. Engaging in demanding gameplay often requires intense focus and attention, which can be difficult to maintain for long periods of time.
For instance, some gamers may listen to music that stimulates their brain’s activity and enhances their cognitive performance, such as music with a high tempo, complex structure or positive lyrics. This can help them to think faster, react quicker and perform better in challenging situations.
One more explanation for why gamers enjoy listening to music is their desire to craft custom soundtracks for their gaming sessions. As gaming experiences often involve extended periods of time spent in immersive virtual realms and stories, having music playing in the background enables players to infuse their gameplay with a unique touch of individuality and forge a deeper emotional bond with the gaming world.
So what are the trends and preferences of gamers in 2023 when it comes to music? According to a recent survey by Spotify, one of the leading streaming platforms for gaming music, these are some of the findings:
- The most popular genres of gaming music in 2023 are electronic (25%), rock (20%), pop (15%), hip hop (10%) and metal (10%).
- The most popular artists of gaming music in 2023 are Imagine Dragons (5%), Marshmello (4%), Billie Eilish(4%), Post Malone (3%) and Twenty One Pilots (3%).
- The most popular playlists of gaming music in 2023 are Top Gaming Tracks1, Gaming Music 20232, Epic Gaming Music and Lo-Fi Beats for Gaming.
- The most popular games that gamers listen to music while playing in 2023 are Fortnite, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Cyberpunk 2077, Minecraft and Grand Theft Auto V.
- The most common devices that gamers use to listen to music while playing in 2023 are headphones (60%), speakers (30%) and earphones (10%).
- The most common platforms that gamers use to listen to music while playing in 2023 are Spotify (50%), YouTube (20%), Apple Music (10%), SoundCloud (10%) and Amazon Music (10%).
Gamers listen to music for various reasons, such as enhancing the atmosphere, improving their focus and concentration and creating their own personal soundtracks. They also have different preferences and trends when it comes to music, depending on their personality, mood, game and device.